Monday, May 19, 2008

Maddening Musings of a Mother Unmasked

This is the six word title of my Memoir.

No ~ I am not writing a memoir, but I was tagged to write a six word title for mine!

I say that my musings are maddening, because I am sure that is what my children would say. I have been afflicted/blessed with the C personality (of the DISC model) which is perfectionistic, problem-pointing-out, task-oriented, and indeed, maddening! I have taken a long time to learn this about myself. Thus I am trying to correct this in me... but perhaps it comes too late. At least for these children whom I love so dearly.

Unfortunately, I happen to recognize myself in movies and tv dramas, the mom who expected too much, the one who receives a lovely drawing from her precious child and instead of appreciating it is likely to say, 'how wonderful darling, don't you think the tree should be green instead of pink?', thus squashing a great moment with her realistic point of view.

Oh yes... realistic is MY word of choice, but most others would say pessimistic. In this particular case, I would say this type of thing is even depressing and ugly. :(

Unfortunate that I did not learn it earlier --- but glad that I am learning now... it just shows that I am a slow learning hard-headed stubborn person, or maybe just selfish, or spoiled, or all of the above. It is a wondrous thing that God not only tolerates us, but actually forgives and even really loves us. In all of our mess. In all of our exposed selfishness. How great is our God?

Wow. Did not expect me to be posting all of that, did you? Me neither.
Thanks Great-Granny Grandma! The introspection is something I am used to doing, just not usually baring it all for the world to see/read.

Now, I think it's appropriate that you say prayers for me, and for my children. We oh so need them.

1 comment:

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Good post, and yes, I would be happy to pray for you and your children. I totally relate to the late learner thing. There is so much I'm learning about myself now that I'm a grandmother and it's too late for my children. And it so grieves me and makes me wish I could turn back the clock, but be the person I am today--rather than who I was then.