Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tis the season of Proms...

...and graduations... and awards ceremonies... another year ending... and my "baby" is leaving high school.

When they were small, I could never imagine this day. You are so overwhelmed with the constant demands of young children, they are always needing you, wanting you, touching you... and then suddenly, they hit the teenage years, going through hormonal changes and personality changes; oh, they still need you, but they are not as willing to share with you and tell you they need you! and when my first one left the nest, i still had the others, and then the next one, but i still had one at home... and so it goes.

I expected to feel more sadness, but somehow God really does prepare you for this time. And ~ perhaps my sadness is overshadowed by my more natural emotion of anxiety, stress, fear! (okay, that is supposed to be a little funny.) Truth is, when we send them out each day, we have no control over anything. I realize that the truth is: Control of anything is an illusion! But isn't it easy to convince ourselves that we DO have control? It is a daily struggle for me to NOT let my flesh control my emotions, my actions, my feelings.

For the present, we have a prom hair appointment to get to (more money added to all the other pre-prom festivities). You "dads of baby daughters" get prepared for the expenses involved in getting our girls out to their social events! You have a few years so start saving now. lol

Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Yes, this flesh/control thing is really a huge issue. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever master it.

cajunsis said...

When my kids were young, someone gave me a book called "Give Them Wings" - it was great to help me prepare for that day. You always think you are ready, but no matter what you do, you are not. Give Them Wings helps prepare you spiritually - I advise getting it. You will probably love it.

I cannot understand why I don't get your updates :-(